Last updated 19 June 2019
Lumix G cameras are very similar in operation and you can use the following manuals as a good starting point for other models.
I’ve recently upgraded to the Lumix G80 (G85), and have added a manual for that camera.
I’ve taken the opportunity to change my approach to using the camera and to custom modes. Rather than having a custom mode for each sensible combination of AF mode and metering mode, I’ve moved to having 3 custom modes for ‘stationary’ subjects that all use FACE DETECTION AF mode and MULTI metering mode.
- If a face is not detected the camera uses 49-AREA AF mode.
- Pressing FOCUS AREA SET switches to 1-AREA AF mode with a form of spot metering. You can move and size the AF frame.
I find the ability to switch from FACE DETECTION AF mode to 1-AREA AF mode by pressing a single button really useful.
I’ve updated all the camera manuals to Edition 4, adopting the above approach:
- Lumix G80 (G85): Lumix G80 / G85 instructions 4.5
- Lumix G7: Lumix G7 instructions 4.5
- Lumix GX7: Lumix GX7 instructions 4.5
- Lumix G6: Lumix G6 instructions 4.5
The manuals for the four cameras are very similar. I believe that I’ve captured the differences between them carefully, but the differences can be subtle. Let me know if I’ve missed something and there are any errors.
I’ve removed earlier editions of the manuals from this page. If anyone preferred the approach in those manuals then please comment below, letting me know why.
Other comments welcome.
I’ve enabled comments for this page again. I will disable them if I have problems with spam. You can also contact me as directed on the home page if you wish.